If your business has ever been the target of crime, you know the gut-wrenching feeling that follows and how violated owners and employees feel afterwards.
The Clay County Sheriff’s Office is taking steps to increase community awareness by providing security advice and related services to businesses.
It is our hope that by instituting some basic safety measures and by taking advantage of a CCSO-conducted security survey your business will become less of a target for criminals. By contacting our Community Policing Unit at (904) 213-6177 you can request to have a deputy visit your location. This service is FREE to any Clay County business and takes just thirty minutes or less.
Meanwhile, here are some tips to follow to better protect your property:
- Consider installation of a professional, monitored alarm system
- If your business is closed for any extended period of time due to vacation or emergency, have mail and other deliveries postponed in your absence
- Proper lighting of your business and surrounding grounds is crucial to preventing a break-in
- Install proper fencing to limit access to the rear of your building if necessary and repair it promptly if ever damaged
- Review key-control procedures and policies with employees
We understand that being away from your place of business for any length of time can lead to anxiety if you have security concerns. The Clay County Sheriff’s Office Business Watch Program is designed to provide you with peace of mind by placing your address on a stepped-up patrol list. Deputies in your area will be instructed to keep a close eye on your property and to conduct area checks more regularly while you are away. To take advantage of this program, simply call the CCSO main number, (904) 264-6512, and ask to have your building placed on the Business Watch list.