No one is able to truly “burglar proof” any home. But, the Clay County Sheriff’s Office is taking steps to increase community awareness by providing security advice and related services to residents before and after a burglary is committed.
Tips to Protect Your Property
- Consider installation of a professional, monitored, registered alarm system.
- While out of town, have mail and newspaper delivery postponed or ask a neighbor to pick it up regularly.
- Sign up for the House Watch Program to notify deputies that you will be away.
- Proper lighting of your house and surrounding yard/driveway is crucial to preventing a break-in.
- While on vacation, attach interior lamps to automatic on/off switch system.
- “Beware of Dog” signs are a great deterrent – so is an actual dog!
- Landscape under first-floor windows using thorny plants such as rose and holly bushes.
House Watch Program – (904) 264-6512